Wednesday 24 October 2012

Work In Progress Wednesday - Action on two UFOs


Today I will report on my progress on two UFOs:


  • the crazy quilt block 
  • the bias tape quilt


The Crazy Quilt Block


On the CQ block I have added a lot of memorabilia, collected during the summer. This week is no exception.
Just before leaving Tokyo for Europe in summer I visited the new sightseeing spot, Tokyo Sky Tree, a broadcasting tower of no less than 634 m!!!  Now, I did not go all the way up to the viewing platforms, but stayed with my feet firmly on the ground and explored the shopping centre at the base. Among the stalls was Natural Kitchen a shop full of useful or just pretty things for the home, all priced 100 yen, which is cheap.
One of the things I picked up was a small enamel disc in the form of a lace doily. Perfect for my cq block I thought, and now it is on:


On the left of the doily is a seam embellished with a recent TAST stitch, the Knotted Loop stitch
Do you believe in 'sleeping on it', giving yourself some time to be able to make a sound decision? Here I found that 'sleeping on it' made me re-read the stitch instructions, work slowly, and hey presto, I somehow mastered this stitch. When I made the Fern panel I struggled so. I have learned so much since I joined the TAST project. Also about myself.
This close up photo has also taught me one thing: check your stitches! Can you spot the badly stitched bead on the left? There is a bit of loose thread there. Redo!!!


The Bias Tape Quilt

Work on this poor quilt is going slowly. It was packed away with mothballs all summer, being too bulky to work on in the heat and totally impractical to have as a wee travel project.

Here is an update of previous shown photos:












My WIPW report is that I have worked a ring of Buttonhole stitches around the buttons:


The lace, ribbon and Whipped Running stitch were worked early in January! I told you, this is going slowly!!!
I hope to have more to report next week. Before you leave, why not hop over to Sharon's WIPW and check what progress the others have made.




14 comments:

latha said...

Your quilt is turning beautiful as the work progresses.I often visit your blog to see the Great ideas you put into this is wonderful work. Stitches, colours and embellishment done are lovely. Real motivation to me. thank you Queenie.

Queeniepatch said...

Thank you Latha for your kind comments. It means a lot to me.
Enjoying what you do is making work light and interesting.

margaret said...

your block is coming on so well, the metal piece looks so good, a great find.What could be better than a buttonhole stitch around a button, well thought out that Queenie, you always make your blog interesting, great to be one of your followers.
How I would love to have you looking over my shoulder as I am trying to learn the patchwork skills, have just found a group to join so hopefully can get some help and inspiration there, it meets once a month.

Claudia said...

I just agree with Latha. Always lots of eyecandies on your blog! Thank you so much for sharing!

City Krafters said...

I think your really clever how you pick up things on your travels and incorporate it into your stitching, very stimulating and enjoyable reading and great pictures on your blog.

Lis Harwood said...

I definitely approve of "sleeping on it" and even wake in the early hours with a solution or idea - I keep a notebook by my bed. I think putting a quilt away for a while is an extension of sleeping on it, sometimes we need a break from a project before we can enjoy it with enthusiasm again.

Queeniepatch said...

You are too kind in your comments about my blog, Margaret. I write mainly for myself, as a kind of diary, to record what I have made and why. I do appreciate my online friends and the response I get from you all.
As for looking over your shoulder when you quilt... I don't think I would be a very good teacher. Piecework is not my cup of tea, and I do a lot of my quilting in an unorthodox way. I am sure you are much better off with a good group and I am so happy to hear you have found one. Best of luck!

Queeniepatch said...

Eyecandy, it is a very nice expression that I did not know until I joined TAST.
On Pintangle and among all the participants there is so much eyecandy, and on YOUR blog there is always a bowl full of wonderful things to drool over!

Queeniepatch said...

Thank you!
Adding small pieces that hold a special meaning or a memory on a crazy quilt is not only traditional but part of the enjoyment, I think. There is so much freedom in a cq block; anything goes.

Queeniepatch said...

It is just what I should do, keep a notepad by my bed! I often wake up and 'know' how to solve a problem.
When I did the Fern panels I rushed through the work, I had trouble to get the 'hang of' the stitch and was upset. So I began to dislike the stitch. Later I saw that so many others had made wonderful even stitches. After 'sleeping on it', i.e. letting some time pass, check the instructions and try again, the stitches were easy to do. The process of learning, eh! You, if anyone, know all about that, with your background in education.

Marjolein said...

Yes, I do believe in "sleep on it".
I found that forcing yourself to get things done, doesn't work. On the contrary, everything works against you.
The bias tape quilt looks interesting, I am getting curious how the whole quilt looks.

Lins Artyblobs said...

Both WIP looking good. Great doily disc find. I have a bad habit of not reading instructions properly so have to redo quite often.

Queeniepatch said...

I hope to have time to work hard on finishing this 'marathon' quilt, and THEN I'll show it in its completed look. Have faith!

Queeniepatch said...

Your work is always so beautifully inventive and freeform.
I think by NOT reading instructions you might create new stitches! I know it is the wrong way of learning a new stitch, but not reading, or following, instructions, CAN be a very good thing, don't you think?