Marjolein of Threads and Patches has the eye, and pointed out that my cq block was a bit out of balance. I took a good look, and found that she is absolutely right. I have now tried to rectify the problem, with denser stitching and a sprinkling of sequins in some areas.
She also suggested that the Indian ornaments do not belong to this block because of their dominance of yellow.
For me, these ornaments have such a story (read this, this and this) and removing them is non-negotiable. Instead I tried to add splashes of yellow and gold to other parts of the block for a better balancing act.
Below you can see what the block looks like now. As it is the last day of the year I will 'call it a day' (or year) and do no more.
See you all tomorrow, i.e. in 2013!