Friday 14 April 2017

Friday Homework for Lesson 18: Renaissance Stitch

Oh, dear! This has turned out to be an interesting stitch! There are a number of similar stitches with these names: Renaissance Stitch, Rococo Stitch, Queen Stitch, French Stitch...

According to these sources
MT: Mary Thomas's Dictionary of Embroidery Stitches.
ESB: The Embroidery Stitch Bible
SGtF: Sew Guide to Fashion
A-Z2: A-Z of Embroidery Stitches 2

Yellow: Renaissance Stitch (A-Z2)

Purple:  French Stitch (MT and ESB)

Orange: Rococo Stitch (ESB)
Orange: Rococo Stitch or Queen Stitch (A-Z2)
Orange: Queen Stitch or Renaissance Stitch (SGtF)
Orange: (when worked with six crosses) Rococo Stitch (SGtF)

Green: Rococo Stitch or Queen Stitch (MT)

The green stitch is a true Canvas stitch, and is worked in a totally different way from the others. As I had no single canvas to work it on, I tried on this Aida, (unsuccessfully?)

A-Z2 is the only book where the stitch has and odd number of 'crosses', namely three, and the spacing is so broad that the fabric can be seen between the threads.

It is all very confusing but I conclude that RENAISSANCE Stitch is the yellow one with odd number of crosses and a wide look.

On my Aida sampler it looks like this:

And here is my homework:



16 comments:

Rachel said...

I hadn't realised just how many variants there were!

Queeniepatch said...

Nor had I! I am learning a lot!

Pamela said...

I had no idea either! The Queen Stitch is one of my favorites.

Queeniepatch said...

It's easy to make and can fill an area quickly.

margaret said...

you are sharing so much with us that we did not know it is so interesting seeing all these stitches

Queeniepatch said...

One will never be fully learned! Also, there are so many stitches, with so many names that I will never in my life time learn them all!

Stitching Lady said...

Very nice find! Very fitting for Easter - so I wish you happy Easter days.

Queeniepatch said...

The same to you!

Annet said...

It looks like you learned 4 new stitches! I enjoy your experiments very much.

Queeniepatch said...

I did!
I am enjoying them, too, and learning a lot!

Janie said...

How interesting, all the variations. I like the block of yellow Renaissance stitch, lots of
texture and secondary patterns.
Happy Easter!

crazyQstitcher said...

Lovely homework! I'd only tried the sample you have in brown- I must try the orange one now.

chitra said...

Thank you for researching this stitch. now we have four stitches depending on the number of straight stitches. your sampler looks lovely.

Queeniepatch said...

I think this stitch is great as an individual stitch, as a border line and as a filling. I am so glad I found it, and its 'siblings'!

Queeniepatch said...

As I said in the comment about, it can be used on its own or to fill in a large area, or make a pretty border. I think it is a great stitch.

Queeniepatch said...

When I found all these alternatives I was thinking of you. You often make variations by adding an extra stitch, so these stitches could have been invented by YOU!